Killer Question

You asked, I answered.

I didn't want to but I told you I'd be honest, that I wouldn't hide anything from you anymore. And when I told you everything, poured my heart out, told you my deepest secrets, my dreams, my worries, you sat there and listened. But then I told you about my family. I know they aren't right, I know they are different and.....special.

You were more special to me.

And then you ran away, ran for your life, because you were scared. There was nothing to be scared of though. But I was too afraid to chase after you.

He found you, however. My brother. And he did what he always does to outsiders who know about us.

He killed you.

I wasn't angry. I wasn't sad. I wasn't even shocked because I knew it would happen. It always happens.

You couldn't be trusted to keep our secret. But if you had stayed, stayed with me, I would've kept you safe. It's too late now. Look what you did silly girl, you messed up everything.

Ah well. You're gone now. Another secret buried in a grave. I won't ever forget because I remember everyone and as I said, you were special. I loved you, in my own way.

That question you asked wasn't what ended your life, it was my answer. Do you remember what you asked? And do you remember my first answer?

"Why are you hiding?"
"Why aren't you?"

..................................................................................................................................................................

Pick up the book which is closest to you. Turn to page 55. Use the second sentence on the page as your writing prompt. The closest book to me was 'Half Wild' (I wrote a review for the first book in the series on my group blog-click here to read it!) by Sally Green. "You asked, I answered" was the line (which I thought was brilliant!) so I wrote this short story based on that one sentence.

Comments